Re: Families interested in buying a Multi-unit residence in East Bay
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:56:49 -0800 (PST)
On 12/26/04 7:03 PM, ryoung [at] lmi.net <ryoung [at] lmi.net> wrote:

>This is not QUITE co-housing, but I'm kicking off an effort to form a
>group of
>families with kids to buy a small multi-unit residence in the El Cerrito to
>Oakland area.  No Common House, no developement, as little organizational
>overhead as possible, but shared goals, shared childcare, shared meals in our
>own spaces.

Excellent, Ryan! I highly recommend hooking up with East Bay Cohousing (
http://www.ebcoho.org/ , although the site doesn't reflect the true
diversity of styles/current state of the group), as a significant people
who joined the group to learn about cohousing and the development process
look at the costs of Bay Area housing/land and their own resources and
decide that a retrofit project, using existing structures, more like what
you describe, is more up their alley - they've already looked at several
sites/structures not unlike what you describe, and are focusing the
overall group on acting as an umbrella to support efforts like yours and
reduce your risks, start-up time, and costs by providing mutual education
and an existing structure. Also, a good spot for recruiting is at
Cohousing Co. slide shows (the next one is Jan. 19 in Berkeley).

>I doubt Raines or Joani will be interested, but perhaps there are some local
>lurkers on this list who might find this an attractive housing alternative.

I can't speak for Joani or the rest of the Coho/US board, but personally,
I'm always happy to see "cohousing cousins" and organically retrofitted
communities like the one you envision - the more people who adopt
elements of the model we're creating, the more viable it proves the whole
concept to be and the easier it is for subsequent projects, and the
easier it is to build the movement and address the needs of more people
at different times of life, in different economic situations, with
different social preferences... right now, the inventory of cohousing is
so limited that there's many times and many people who aren't well served
by what's out there.

And just because you don't start with a CH (or even the intention of one)
doesn't mean you can't eventually end up with one if that's what people
in your community want. Temescal Creek came together as a cohousing
community in just six months, but didn't get around to building a common
house until several years later. Mariposa Grove, just down the street,
had a very small unit in one building as a CH and just recently
reconfigured to use a larger unit as a CH.

>If so, check it out here:

Look for me there, as I like to join accessible groups in order to be
able to cross-pollinate useful news & info & connections between groups
and stay up on what's going on to help with news reports for Cohousing
magazine.

Raines

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Looking ahead to a decision point on my unit in 2005 (to avoid or defer
capital gains taxation and make real my paper gains): hold (rent) or sell?

  Secretary, Berkeley [CA] Cohousing
Where my neighbor just paid a year's HOA dues in advance for convenience.

  Supporter, East Bay Cohousing <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Next meeting, Jan. 22 at Doyle Street cohousing in Emeryville.

  Boardmember, Coho/US <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Currently visiting communities in the DC area while on vacation.