Re: Families interested in buying a Multi-unit residence in East Bay - Northern California
From: Ryan Young (Ryounglmi.net)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:48:08 -0800 (PST)
Cost is the main reason I'm not going for a common space.

In the Bay Area, setting aside one of the units of a smaller multiunit building drives the cost beyond what the small families (sometimes single moms, a family style that NEEDS the sort of social support I'm aiming for) can't afford it, and we end up with the "Dentists Collectives" that were one of the original Danish criticisms of Co-Housing.

We haven't bought or identified a particular building yet, but I'm shooting for less than 6 units, again, to reduce the "Overhead" of trying to swing a bigger deal.