Re: Re: Families interested in buying a Multi-unit residence in East Bay - Northern California
From: Perry_rg (peregryn2356yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:10:24 -0800 (PST)
~!93!~

I can understand about the cost issue.  Kudos to you for thinking about single
parents, who often do need the sort of social support that a cohousing or
intentional neighborhood would provide.  I, as a single father, appreciate the
support I get in the retrofit cohousing project I am involved with.  And, as a
renter myself, I would encourage cohousing projects to give consideration to
having some rental units as a part of their projects.

Light, Life, Love, Liberty, and Laughter!

Perry

~!93!*!93/93!~

Ryan Young <Ryoung [at] lmi.net> wrote:
Cost is the main reason I'm not going for a common space.

In the Bay Area, setting aside one of the units of a smaller multiunit
building drives the cost beyond what the small families (sometimes
single moms, a family style that NEEDS the sort of social support I'm
aiming for) can't afford it, and we end up with the "Dentists
Collectives" that were one of the original Danish criticisms of
Co-Housing.

We haven't bought or identified a particular building yet, but I'm
shooting for less than 6 units, again, to reduce the "Overhead" of
trying to swing a bigger deal.