Re: "Dentists Collectives"
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymanddanenet.org)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:34:45 -0800 (PST)
Methinks this epithet has multiple forms in multiple languages.

This is essentially a generic criticism my wife has had of the
various co-housing projects we've looked at over the past few years.
BTW, can you lend me your flame retardant undies, Ryan, I could
have used them in this conversation :-)

I would like to see more coho projects that hit at a lower cost
level, as I see this as a sustainability issue.  Sure, maybe it's
ok for a while for this to be a middle-upper income and up adventure,
but if one looks for a broader socialogical impact (as I do), then it
must spread to lower cost models.

I did take a look at the "Green Communities Grants" from the Enterprise
Foundation folks in Wash DC
http://www.enterprisefoundation.org/majorinitiatives/green/index.asp
and I like the way they are thinking. This could have some broader impact!

Locally, I've been tangentially associated with one Habitat for Humanity
project, a "woman's build" that my wife and daughter partcipated in. This was but one house in a larger subdivision development and Habitat was doing several other houses in this same block. I kept thinking this would have
been a good opportunity to do a co-housing style project.

I'm also interested in infill style projects.  We aren't going to grow
any more land, after all.  Can we either reuse some current buildings or
redevelop some already developed area? That would fit with the Green Communities
notion.

--Dirk