Re: how public is my commonhouse?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:02:31 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 2, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Eileen McCourt wrote:

How big is Takoma Village?

We had 75 people on Dec 23rd for Christmas dinner, and to me (as one of
the cooks) it still seemed very manageable.  The only guests were
relatives and close friends.  Our regular meals have 50-60 people. We
have 36 households.  We have approx 50 adults and about 15 kids at this
time.

Takoma Village is 43 units and about 57 adults. The size isn't the problem for the cooks, I just find it too loud and chaotic to have so many people eating and running around. Personal preference. Everywhere I look I see something that needs to be done. So much work!

People seem to be inviting fewer "strange" guests -- now it is mostly close friends and relatives, but at first it was like everyone wanted everyone they knew to see the community and inviting them to meals was the easiest way to do that. In hindsight, I think we should have organized meals for that purpose with a little Q&A session following the meal.

Most parents really did think their kids had moved into a religious cult of some kind. And friends were very dubious.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC