Re: Do we need two lists?
From: James Kacki (jimkackimb.sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:21:02 -0800 (PST)
Tom, re/ your discussion on 2 lists:
My opinion? -'No' to 2 lists.
Developing communities can learn a lot from the daily problems/issues/joys of established communities (in my opinion) Browse the subject headings (as I'm sure most of us do), and if it doesn't interest you, don't read it. But you never know when a pearl in an oyster may turn up (I know this doesn't fit with your 'Johnny Appleseed'metaphore :-) )
All the best!!
Jim

Tom Hammer wrote:
I browse the postings of this list often, and I am often struck by how
irrelevant the discussion is to those of us who are struggling to form a new
community.  If you go back and re-read a sampling of the topics, many are
about the nitty-gritty of daily living in cohousing--a very useful forum for
folks who are in cohousing communities, I am sure.

Yet I know that there are many generous cohousers who are very interested in
helping give guidance to new communities.  As someone with great interest in
starting a coho community where I could live, I presently find little help
or advice among the "daily living" messages, and I rarely post my
questions/concerns/ideas because it seems that the culture of the list is
for the most part for established communities.

Is it time to form a separate list where the focus would be totally on
forming communities?  Experts and passionate Janey/Johnny Appleseed types
who want to see cohousing grow and spread could sow their seeds of wisdom
there (hope this metaphor isn't too strained!)

Thoughts?

Tom Hammer
Concord Village
PA/MD/DE