Re: Do we need two lists?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 06:03:40 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 3, 2005, at 8:48 PM, Tom Hammer wrote:

Yet I know that there are many generous cohousers who are very interested in helping give guidance to new communities. As someone with great interest in starting a coho community where I could live, I presently find little help
or advice among the "daily living" messages, and I rarely post my
questions/concerns/ideas because it seems that the culture of the list is
for the most part for established communities.

Please do post your questions. The list, over time, varies from periods of start up questions to live in questions. In the past the complaints were just the opposite.

Start ups can learn much from live in questions because they usually reveal the real effects of plans the community made when they formed. One way to ask questions is to look at the posts and wonder how could this situation be avoided or encouraged in start up planning?

Your question is also a good reminder to members of the list to respond to all questions, even when they have been answered before. Telling people to look in the archives is not really welcoming. it's a bit like telling a two-year-old to go read a book when they ask a question. People who are just getting started don't know what to look for in the archives.

I would not be in cohousing today unless I accidently read a newspaper article that included the word "cohousing." Then I could search the internet and find it. Remembering the 60s and 70s, I would never, at that time, have looked at "intentional communities."

Thanks for bringing this up again,

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines, Editor and Publisher
Building Community: A Newsletter on Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods