Re: Grants
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:49:15 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:57 PM, DGSCCoho [at] aol.com wrote:

Catya -

Here at Stone Curves cohousing in Tucson, AZ, we've applied for and received
a $10,000 "Urban/Community Forestry Challenge Grant".

Takoma Village had a HUD grant of $35,000 (I think) for research into green building materials. We were particularly concerned about using green materials but knowing which ones were really cost effective. Some cost so much the energy savings is not balanced with cost.

Grants are more likely to be found for very special projects like the Stone Curves trees project which is educational as well as nature preservation and research. For example, if you want a grant to research paint characteristics, lighting technology, drainage systems, etc. that apply to a specific kind of use or location. Local grants are much easier because you can more easily talk to the foundations (a must!) and find out what they want to fund. They will also be more interested in helping a private effort to better the community.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Grants, (continued)
    • Grants Catya Belfer-Shevett, January 3 2005
    • Re: Grants DGSCCoho, January 4 2005
      • Re: Grants Sharon Villines, January 7 2005
    • Grants Catya Belfer-Shevett, April 21 2005