Re: Seeking Cohousing in Cleveland, Ohio
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:27:38 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Cindy Murphy wrote:

I would like to find people who are interested in
developing a cohousing community in the Cleveland
Heights-University Heights area of Cleveland, Ohio. I
don't know where to begin. Can you help me?

You will get lots of ideas on this -- each one will work in some instances. Basically you have to try everything. Things that have worked for communities I've been connected to:

1. Flyers distributed on bulletin boards in food coops, chiropractors offices, Whole Foods, and Unitarian Churches. Give a brief description of cohousing, a contact number, and a meeting time and place. Never underestimate the power of a flyer placed in a cohousing friendly place. People want cohousing and community -- they just need to make the connection.

2. Get a local paper, even a neighborhood paper, to do a piece on cohousing that includes your contact information. Get on a radio talk show. Ask someone already living with in cohousing to appear or be interviewed with you.

3. Publish your meeting time on this list. The cohousing network is huge. Even if there is only one person who has a friend in Cleveland looking for cohousing (and there are bound to be more that one) you will have made contact with a potential cohouser.

4. List your community as "forming" at the cohousing website. VERY IMPORTANT.

None of these things are expensive and the majority of communities have found that the expensive solutions (marketing consultants, fancy brochures, mailings), if they work at all, do not work well enough for them to break even. Word of mouth is the best marketing tool you have.

Good luck!

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines