Questions
From: Stacia Leech and Gary kent (garykentuniserve.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:49:42 -0800 (PST)
Hi all:

Roberts Creek Cohousing Community (www.cohousing.ca/robertscreek ) in
British Columbia Canada is now fully occupied and our common house will
be ready by the end of February - it's a very exciting time.

We have 70 adults and about 20 children in our community.  We are hoping
to have community meals in the common house a couple of times per week.

Question 1. We would like to have some guidelines for 'behaviour' in the
common house - particularly around small children and dinner time.

Are there folks who would be willing to share their guidelines, expected
behaviours etc?

Question 2.  In the late Spring when construction is finally done we
will be finishing our roadways.  We have a road to the left of the
property that is the parking lot, the fork to the right goes up between
the houses and will be the pedestrian street with access for emergency
vehicles only.

Our site has quite a steep grade and we have been instructed by the
local Ministry of Transport and Highways that we must pave the
pedestrian street.  We would prefer not to have a 'paved' road up the
middle of our homes.  So the compromise at present is that we will
surface the road with a product called 'chip seal'.  This surface is not
permeable, however it's not quite as solid as asphalt.

We would like to explore the options for our pedestrian street before we
have to make a decision in the Spring.  The factors to be taken into
consideration are:

The Ministry of Transport does not hold a financial bond for the
completion of our street - so technically we could use an alternative to
chip seal.

The grade is quite steep (possibly 10 - 15%, our guestimate).

The street will have bioswales (ditches with plant material) to deal
with run off.

Cost is a factor (chip seal is relatively cheap to do).

The street will only be used by vehicles for emergencies.

The frequency and cost of repairs and maintenance is a factor.

Any advice you have will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Stacia Leech

Roberts Creek Cohousing Community.

  _____

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed 303 Spam messages and set aside
188 Newsletters for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  www.ellaforspam.com