Re: architectural review, exterior decor
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:11:07 -0800 (PST)
>Do people have architectural review policies that regulate what people
>can do outside their units -- neon signs, dog kennels, hammocks,
>attached sun shades, etc....
>We now have hanging on various porches and overhangs, Buddhist flags,
>American flags, macrame hangings, wire bumblebees, sun blinds, extra
>locks on doors, planters, political signs in windows (perpetually), and
>signs on doors (mottos), etc. Various of these things bother some
>residents more than others but each of them is objectionable to
>someone.

Omigosh! At RoseWind it would be unthinkable to rule out any of that sort
of stuff. Self expression is a major item. We are lot development,
detached homes, so you mostly see what's around the houses closest to
you, though I think I can see about 16 homes from mine, to some degree,
and our paths go by all the houses. OUR battles are about whether such
stuff can go on the COMMONS!

In general, first look to what you do have in place, in terms of
city/town ordinances (which probably cover threats to public health,
barking dogs, loud music), your own rules (unshielded exterior lighting
that shines in others' eyes), and your own mediation and facilitation
techniques. What we'd do here, if my neighbor had a chartreuse barbeque
on my property line or a plant with berries toxic to my kids, would be to
follow general conflict resolution guidelines, trying direct talk w the
neighbor, or third party mediation, or meeting with a few of our
facilitation team, to try to find a solution all could agree to.

We say we value diversity, and offer both common and private space, so to
me that says we negotiate what's in common space, or affects others'
health and safety, but what color my window blinds are, or whether my
Earth flag is OK, is my own business, and we'll just work it out
individually if something is really offensive. (I'm trying to think what
would cross my lines - racist, homophobic, hate stuff, I guess.) What
next, bumper sticker patrol?! My newest says "No, you can't have my
rights: I'm still using them!"

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com