Re: red/blue schism
From: Jan (jansunward.org)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:37:42 -0800 (PST)
On Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:45 AM, Stephan Wik wrote:

> I have often observed that the lower the self-esteem the
> greater the need to find some external 'authority' or 'dogma' to
> bolster one's sense of self-worth. ...

> I do wonder whether the fault line is not between left/right/blue/red
> but rather between people who have taken full responsibility for their
> own actions and self-development and those who have handed the
> responsibility to someone/something else. I've always found it quite
> easy to talk/work/co-operate with people from any part of the
> political/social spectrum that are coming from a self-empowered place.
> Religious Fundamentalists and Political Fundamentalists can be very
> difficult to get on with in my experience no matter what 'ology' or
> 'ism' they have latched on to.

It is very difficult for a person raised in a non-supportive environment to
come from a "self-empowered place."  Low self esteem is to a certain
degree learned in the family and yes, it can be a definite
handicap for a person trying to live in cohousing.  On the other hand,
certan fundamentalist organizations seek those with low self-esteem.
These organizations can be very welcoming, quite appealing those
who may have few other options.  It is extremely difficult to overcome
the low self esteeem that helps make fundamentalist organizations
attractive.  Furthermore, such organizations may actively discourage
one from growing out of them.

Becoming part of a fundamentalist organization is better than succumbing
to drugs, alcohol, depression, a life or crime or suicide, to name some of
the paths often taken by persons of low self esteem.  It is no wonder
that people barely making it out of these pitfalls are difficult to get on
with.  The structured environment of a fundamentalist orgainzation
provides ways to deal with such difficulties.

If one must be self-empowered to be active in cohousing--and it seems to me
this is so--cohousing is definitely not for everyone.  Current social trends
seem to be producing many non-self-empowered people.  Most of these people
will not become cohousers.  Instead, they will seek the support of
organizations with rather rigid, predictable rules that limit freedom, but
give definite benefits.   The comfort of belonging and the assurance of a
better life in heaven are non-trivial benefits.  Another great benefit is
the avoidance of disastrous life choices for one who follows the rules.
Having been "saved" by such rigidity, it may be difficult for a person to
turn one's back on it.

Jan
Sunward
Ann Arbor, MI