Loneliness in Seattle (OOPS!, I mean in Australia)
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:44:24 -0800 (PST)
Monty Berman <mberman116 [at] hotmail.com> is the author of the message below.
because the message included only HTML  which the listserv did not
convert.

 I am responding, for the first time!, to today's posting by Sharon re
"loneliness" (see below). Loneliness is a fact of my own existence; I'd
even call it a chronic sense of isolation. What I want to get across here,
is that this is attenuated somewhat by living up here in EcoVillage at
Ithaca---but still, even among the 60 households and wonderful, caring
people here, I still get to deal with this "condition." Probably lots more
to be said on this subject, but I'll settle for putting this piece of it
out here.

   Monty Berman  EcoVillage at Ithaca, founding member.

   On Feb 25, 2005, at 5:30 PM, Tilstra wrote:
   > Today's http://www.theage.com.au (Melbourne, Australia) reports on a
   > study on loneliness in Australia. To me, it clearly links the housing
   > arrangements people are in to the degree of loneliness reported.
   > Here's the link:
   > http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/The-solitary-confinement-of-
   > the-A
   > ussie-bloke/2005/02/25/1109180108482.html
   I would suggest that it mostly says that for _men_ the living situation
   is more crucial. Women are more able to form adequate social supports
   in a variety of living situations while men are not. When they live
   alone, they are lonely.
   Sharon Villines