RE: Kitchen flooring
From: Elana Kann (ekannbellsouth.net)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:04:11 -0800 (PST)
Zeke, you won't find a more durable, power washable, easy-to-clean floor
than your concrete slab, if it's left with a smooth polished surface and if
it's stained or dyed. There are many products available to give the concrete
some color and even a marble-like pattern--beautiful! At Westwood we have
concrete floors everywhere, both ground slab and thin-slab on upper levels
because we embedded radiant floor heat in the concrete. We used a stain in
our common house and it has worn well. One of our members dyed his home's
slab floor rather than installing a topping. The dye colors the cement in
the concrete and it really does look like marble. It has a smooth wax finish
on top of it for easy cleaning.
--Elana Kann, Westwood Cohousing Community in Asheville, NC