RE: Concerning Consensus and established CoHo communities
From: Saille Warner Norton (sailleswngrrl.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:25:37 -0800 (PST)
Well, I suppose that's one way to perceive it.

We are a new group, and most of our current folks do not have experience, or
very limited experience, in CP. I always assumed that we'd use CP in some
form, since that seems to be one of the foundations of CoHo. My assumption
has been questioned with "Did we consent to use consensus process?" (which
seems like a really dumb question, ie "did we vote on voting?") Since that
point, our governance committee has been working on a proposal for a form of
governance which removes "general assembly" from most decisions, instead
giving that power to a closed council, and using the "general assembly" only
when consensus cannot be reached by that council, and at that point, putting
items up for voting, rather than consensus.

They're working on the assumptions that 1) consensus does not work for
larger groups; 2) consensus generally takes too long; and 3) consensus
breaks down in the long term between established community members and "new
blood", meaning oldtimers block consensus on new ideas with the comments
"tried it already/won't work".

I disagree strongly with their assumptions. The strongest proponent of these
assumptions claims that #3 is happening all over in CoHo and communities are
dying because of it. I need to be able to refute his assertions with actual
data. He doesn't seem to have any. I suspect his assumptions are coming from
non-CoHo organizations, and I don't think that they necessarily apply to a
CoHo situation. (Do any of you?)

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far!

Saille Warner Norton
Pasadena, CA


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jeanne Goodman, JP Cohousing [mailto:goodmanj [at] jpcohousing.org]
> Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 8:29 AM
> To: Saille Warner Norton
> Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Concerning Consensus and established CoHo communities
> 
> Dear Saille,
> 
> Are you experiencing CP problems?
> 
> Jeanne Goodman
> Jamaica Plain Cohousing
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Saille Warner Norton" <saille [at] swngrrl.com>
> To: <Cohousing-L [at] cohousing.org>
> Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 3:08 PM
> Subject: [C-L]_ Concerning Consensus and established CoHo communities
> 
> 
> > Hello,
> >
> >
> >
> > I am looking for information concerning consensus practices in
> established
> > CoHo groups. If anyone can provide information, I'd be very grateful.
> >
> >
> >
> > 1. Are there any established communities who do NOT use consensus?
> > 2. Are there any long established communities (10+ years), using
> > consensus, who are now "dying" because of using CP?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I had another questions, but I've forgotten it now. Again, thanks for
> any
> > info you may have. I'm a big supporter of CP, but have a few folks in
> our
> > developing group who seem to have a negative view of consensus.
> >
> >
> >
> > Saille
> >
> >
> >
> > When a man moves from nature, his heart becomes hard.
> >
> > - Lakota Proverb
> >
> >
> >
> > In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple.
> In
> > conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In
> > work,
> > do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.
> >
> >
> >
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:
> > http://www.cohousing.org/cohousing-L/
> >
> >
> >
> >


Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.