Re: Movinmg forward with the best info you have in decision making.
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:07:40 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 12, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Rob Sandelin wrote:

 Sharon Villines wrote:

In sociocracy, decisions are made on the basis of moving forward as best you can because moving forward gives you new information that you can use to evaluate and correct course. "This is the best we can do at the moment. If
everyone can live with it at the moment, then we reevaluate when
circumstances change (or we change them) and new information becomes
available.

I would point out that this brillant statement also applies to any any
decision making process, sociocracy, consensus, voting, autocracy. It is
this notion which makes any group collaboration function and this
re-evaluation is often key to getting unstuck.

I agree with Rob's points here (particularly since he said my statement was brilliant!) but want to emphasize that the minute someone says "consensus" or "consensus process" that some people seem to put a different caveat on being willing to participate than they do on other processes -- If I bother with this, how long will the decision hold? Am I going to have to do this again anytime soon. This has to be a lasting decision -- 2-3 years before we talk about this again.

I think this may happen when the focus is on who you disagree with rather than the merits of the proposal and the focus is on winning instead of moving forward cautiously in order to obtain or test new information. Instead of thinking of decision-making as an ongoing process, it becomes a concern for having it "done" once and for all. "Now this is over."

It's never over. It can get better but there will always be more. If there weren't life would be pretty dull.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Newsletter on Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org