RE: Using Legal Advice [WAS: Concerning Consensus and established CoHo communities
From: Eileen McCourt (emccourtcharter.net)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:44:53 -0800 (PST)
I appreciate Rob's Sharon's responses to the subject of lawyers.  I live in
the same community as Norm and have a very different take on what is going
on than he does. The benefit of lawyers in our situation could be to
introduce reasonableness into the discussion about what is actually harmful
to the community.  In a group that has committed to consensus, or that is at
least trying to understand what that would mean in terms of day to day
operations, resorting to legal remedies every time there is a disagreement
does not seem helpful in resolving these disagreements.

While it is true that two or three trees have been removed at OCC (and so
far all have been transplanted and will probably survive), the community is
now talking about our overall landscape plan, individual expression, what
requires approval and developing a process for obtaining approval when
necessary.  The common garden area was appropriated for the play area by
group consensus that was thoroughly discussed for a number of weeks, even
months, with attention to mitigation of specific concerns.  Not everyone was
delighted by the outcome, but everyone agreed to go ahead with that plan,
which included identifying other areas for community gardening (we have 14
acres of land, 10 of which are undeveloped). The dog play area has been
under discussion for 9 months and has been painstakingly discussed (one
might say ad nauseum) and approved through each step from concept to
location to size and aesthetic concerns, complete with photo presentations
and budgets.

One problem living in community is that everyone has a different level of
tolerance for ambiguity, and different tolerance for the risks associated
with making decisions in which the outcome cannot be fully known.  The most
contentious issues at OCC so far have been related to land use.  There is a
broad spectrum of opinions on what it means to own property in common, what
it means to designate Exclusive Use Common Areas, and what it means to say
that we will not develop the 10 acres of open space on our property.  The
most frustrating thing for me is the need of some OCC members to have all
possible contingencies and risks identified and addressed up front,
preferably with written agreements identifying all responsibilities and
liability, rather than trusting our ability to address problems as they
arise.

--eileen

Eileen McCourt
Oak Creek Commons