RE: rules for participation
From: Alexander Robin A (alexande.robiuwlax.edu)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:02:03 -0800 (PST)
A wonderful point! There are so many ways to contribute and make a group great.
That's the problem I see with the cohousings that try to "enforce" a certain
amount of contribution by logging hours, using checklists, etc. There's no way
to include all the ways that people contribute, and the list itself becomes
limiting. Don't get me wrong - I have my share of times when I grumble about
apparent discrepancies in contribution, so it's not like I don't understand the
urge to formalize it in some way. It takes some level of trust to take the
position that people will contribute to what they value and that each person's
gifts are different and potentially very valuable. That said, I agree that not
going to meetings and then complaining about the resulting decisions is not
cool.

Robin Alexander
Eon Commons