RE: peak oil preparations?
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:40:28 -0700 (PDT)
 Living in a community gives you an opportunity to maximize your ability to
share with other people. This has huge benefits in any kind of situation.
One of the wide criticisms of Heinberg is that he is doing worse case
scenario building, which of course gets press and sells books.  So while we
will not know the future reality, it is certainly just as likely, if not
probably that the energy scenarios, and social scenarios do not end up as
bad as he projects.  Creating caring cooperative communities is a positive
step.

I have certainly met my share of survivalist types. There was a huge
resurgence in this over the whole Y2K panic, and there was considerable
planning by several communities that modern society as we know it will end,
all based on detailed analysis of completely erroneous data. Of course we
all know that outcome. The nitrogen sealed buckets of food have all been
eaten now and sheepishly forgotten.  The end of the world is an ongoing
theology. I personally don't run my life around it.

Having the ability to share resources, talents and caring is a great way to
live, whether society ends or not. The current administration is but a blip
on the ongoing evolution of America. This too will pass, perhaps into a long
term thinking conservation based government.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing
Snohomish Co, WA