Re: peak oil preparations?
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
I'm with Elaine on this.
There is no history of "world-wide oil depletion" because there isn't
a long history of using oil, and its depletion isn't going to be a repeatable
event...
There is enormous amount of data on how much oil is available, and on
how much is being used, relative to the still available quantities.  the
predictions might be off in terms of how many years we still have to go
before things get really bad (for us. They are already mighty bad for many of the other people on the planet), but to say that the claim that oil will
be depleted is mere "fantasy and speculation" is a point of view that
I really don't understand.

And then: even if oil wasn't about to be depleted any minute now, the fact still stands
that we're using resources far beyond our fair share of what's available
worldwide. It's still a fact that this is causing huge ecological damage, and is at the expense of people (and other beings) who have close to nothing, or certainly not enough to live on. (And in the case of other species, is bringing about the decimation and even the extinction of many forms of life).
So, the need to find ways to move towards a way of life which recognizes
the rights of others can be a reason to change, even before such time that
we are forced to do so by economic necessity.

R.