Re: peak oil preparations?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:42:44 -0700 (PDT)
One of the reasons I chose to live in cohousing and to live in urban cohousing was so that I could get rid of my car.

I had been living in Manhattan without a car for years. I rented a car when I needed one. Then I moved to South Florida where a car is a necessity. Not only are the distances great but the roads are multilane, making them very uncomfortable to walk along and across. Although I enjoyed having a new beetle, the old beetle being a teenaged memory, it was so much added work and expense. Keeping car running and gassed up, worrying about dings in the doors, finding parking spaces (relatively easy in Florida but still hard sometimes), and just plain worrying about whether it was stolen or had been broken into overnight was a big job. It took time and effort and money that I preferred to spend elsewhere.

Now I live in DC, two blocks from a Metro. I can walk to everything necessary for daily life. I do make frequent use of ordering over the internet and deliver via UPS or USPS. I borrow or rent a car when I need one (rare)

Cars are wonderful things that have greatly enriched our lives but they no longer enrich them, they dominate them. Even if gas were free, a car is still a major time and expense item if you are dependent on it.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC