Re: How committed is your group to diversity?
From: Grace Potts (gracethepottshouse.org)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:26:36 -0700 (PDT)
However, that doesn't mean this discussion isn't important.  In
fact, any cohousing group that don't process these and/or other
such scenarios really haven't done the work of exploring
diversity.  These WEMs are "committed to diversity" in name only
and I suspect their membership will reflect that.

Diane-

I really only have one thing to say - Right ON Sister!! Amandla! (my arms raised in solidarity :o) But that isn't really a contribution to the conversation, so I'll try to build on what you've said in some meaningful way.

First of all, we should acknowledge that there are more than a dozen kinds of diversity. Most, if not all cohousing groups are diverse in some way or another. But I think this particular element of racial-cultural-economic diversity is a bit of a bug-a-bear. Some folks do make a very genuine effort to gain this sort of diversity in their groups, some don't, but most claim to aspire to it in some way.

The piece of the truth that I think I see is: It would somehow be 'inappropriate' to not seek this kind of diversity, so groups say that they are seeking it whether or not it is a genuine core issue for the group. I think that is a mistake.

Building and creating racial-cultural-economic diversity (those three things in my experience go hand-in-hand) is a big, hard job to undertake as a WEM in American society. I am reminded of a magazine article directed at liberal, northeast whites in the 1960's - "How to meet Negroes"; the idea being that getting outside of your group was so challenging, you could use a how-to primer. Getting outside of your group and building honest relationship hasn't gotten much easier in the intervening 40 years. So unless you *really* mean it, don't say you're looking for this sort of diversity... It's a bit of a slap to people of color. (sort of the way I personally take the term "African-American" - Oh, how sweet, they've thought up another pet-name for us... but I digress)

And if you do really mean it, be prepared to embrace a lot of work, and uncomfortable conversations. You'll be richer for the effort though.

pax Christi!
GP

grace [at] thepottshouse.org
734.975.1293