Re: Organic Food and High Tech Hydroponics in Cohousing?
From: steve boylan (boylanworld.std.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:50:26 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Chris ScottHanson wrote:

> A few years ago I remember hearing about an Israeli company
> developing an automated hydroponic farm-in-a-box food production
> system.  Then, on a list about architecture and ecology I read about
> this:
>
> http://www.organitech.com/
>
> Oh my!
>
> If you have Real Player, take a look at the streaming video page, it
> contains a pretty good overview of this ultra-hightech system.  A pdf
> brochure is also available.
>
> It's a brave new high tech "organic" world.  Would this be cool for
> your cohousing, or what?

Yikes!  This is getting scarier all the time.

There's a fundamental disconnect between organic growing and hydroponics.
I find it amusing that OrganiTECH trumptes "No insects or worms!"  The
essential element of organic growing is healthy soil.  OrganiTECH uses the
same approach other hydroponics processes use:  No pesticides, but no
soil, either.  All the nutrients for the plants are provided via chemical
fertilizers.

Now, taking off my organic farmer's hat (a floppy, broad-brim hat that
keeps the sun off my neck) and putting on my green eyeshade:  I'm curious
about what the capital cost for this system would be, as well as a
recurring costs for fertilizer feedstocks and periodic costs for
maintenance, upgrades, and repair.

It's nice to see, though, that OrganiTECH's systems have P1 compliance for
transgenic applications.  :-)

As for me, I need to go shovel the litter out of the chicken's pen and
fold it into the compost.  The seelings for the peas and beans are really
happy after yesterday's rain, though the weeds seem to be even happier.

                                - - Steve