Re: How to find lots through the city
From: Dave and Diane (daveanddeeverizon.net)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Diana,
The first thing to do is go to this web site:

http://www.sjredevelopment.org/

Over on the right panel, there is a heading entitled "what's new?

I would check out the link entitled "development opportunities" and see what's available.

There's also a link entitled "press room"--here are a few of the interesting links under that heading.

6-3-05 Construction to Start on Towers Lane in San José
8-10-04 Redevelopment Tackles Decay in Downtown
8-3-04 Housing & Retail Development Proposed for Downtown

Read the PDF files, see what they have in them, then get back to your group and see if there's any opportunities for you to get in on one of these developments, either as a parter or as the buyer. Here is an excerpt from one of the press releases:

Housing & Retail Development Proposed 2-2-2
For Fountain Alley in Downtown San Jose
50 W. San Fernando St., Suite 1100, San José, CA 95113 tel 408.794.1000 fax 408.794.3153 web www.sjredevelopment.org Under the agreement signed today, the Agency and San Jose Parking will have up to eight months to negotiate a mixed-use development agreement that includes housing, retail, and parking. San Jose Parking will pay for the required environmental and historic reviews. In addition, the negotiations agreement settles outstanding litigation between the SJRA and San Jose Parking. A development agreement could go to the Redevelopment Agency Board as early as February 2005.

“Housing and retail are critical to the growing strength of our Downtown,” said Harry Mavrogenes, interim Redevelopment Executive Director. “Our goal is to connect our historic retail district on First and Second Streets and provide greater convenience to our residents and visitors for shopping at Downtown specialty stores, restaurants, and services.”

The San Jose Redevelopment Agency is dedicated to creating jobs, building housing, and improving the lives of all who live and work in San José. Governed by the City Council, the Redevelopment Agency partners with business and the community to achieve economic revitalization in the Downtown, our technology parks and industrial areas, and our neighborhoods.
###

If you don't see what you are looking for, write to the head of the development agency, (Harry Mavrogenes) explain who you are, why you are trying to do, and see if you can get a meeting with someone in the agency.

By the way--there's something called "SNI" or "strong neighborhoods initiative." I don't know what that is, but I suspect it is an area that the redevelopment authority is trying to encourage redevelopment in. Download the PDF, read what it says, see what kind of incentives they are offering, and get going!

Good luck,
--Diane Simpson

3-BEDROOM AVAILABLE
JP COHOUSING  617-522-2209