Re: Pens for Dogs
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:00:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:41 AM, pattymara [at] juno.com wrote:
At Tierra Nueva, Central CA coast, we kept it simple. Dog run was needed. Dog owners met, found a common area where a fence could be built, with shade and other amenities. Brought proposal to business meeting. Offerred to pay for all materials and upkeep. Got consensus. Built it. Maintain it (poop patrol). Address any concerns that come up afterwards. Dogs happy. Community happy. All needs met. No lawyers or lease papers required.

We were set to follow the same process but the dog owners, as I recall, decided they didn't want a run. The dogs were not used to them and wouldn't like it. We do a lot of doggie daycare and neighbors walking dogs but they all go out in leashes except for one who already has a small backyard.

BUT the point I wanted to mention is that we have significantly fewer pets than we had when we moved in. As dogs and cats have died, they have not all been replaced. People share more, I think, Having pets around is sufficient -- they don't have to be "yours."

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Re: Pens for Dogs pattymara [at] juno.com, June 13 2005
    • Re: Pens for Dogs Sharon Villines, June 13 2005