Re: Cohousing pet policies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:30:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Rachael Shapiro wrote:

Hi-After reading some of the recent posts on dog runs, I was curious about how other communities are doing in general about pets and policies. We, here at Ecovillage-Ithaca, continue to find this one of the most challenging discussions.

It was very big for us also. And outdoor cats was the same sticking point. They are illegal in DC and some said we had to follow the law and others said, "You can't tell me how my cat should be raised!" And others raised the wildlife issue and allergies.

We moved in with some agreements but no policy. Over time, it has worked out fine.

We ignore the cats who are outside -- but we also have far, far fewer cats. And people do seem to agree that cats pooping in the tot lot is not good. New cats have been indoor cats. Two cats are walked on leashes.

No pets on the commonhouse because of allergies and general maintenance issues. We do have one working dog who goes everywhere but is very well behaved and never jumps on furniture or sleeps on rugs.

We have had to be "stern" with one young owner of a dog who believed that any child who was snapped at by his dog had obviously provoked the dog. Provoked or not, we decided we can't have dogs around who snap and lurch at children. He is now leashed (the dog).

Dogs outdoors are on leashes.

No problems have come to the full membership. Someone just speaks to the person involved about objections and concerns.

The actual pets have not been even a tenth of the problem that wording of a possible pet policy was.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC