Sustainable Community
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:13:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all --

I just got my very own copy of Graham Meltzer's new book:  Sustainable
Community.  It's lovely.  And CHOCKED full of information.  I first met
Graham in 1997 I think.  He was on his information gathering trip across the
US.  He had tons of data.  I always wondered what was going to become of all
that material.  Now, I know! All of it was transformed into this very
wonderful book.

I'm especially interested in hearing opinions from folks who have the book
about the last chapter "Sustainable Community:  applying the lessons."
What's your take on communities comprising several neighborhoods(Graham
suggests this occurs at the "district" level)  taking on the responsibility
for managing schools, libraries, shops, and other facilities?  Can
cohousing, with its emphasis on collaboration and its mainstream "look"
become the leading edge for this kind of community control/responsibility?
Perhaps this is already happening.  Any examples out there?

AZ

PS:  BTW -- if you want a copy of Sustainable Community check out Graham's
website at:  www.grahammeltzer.com  Since it's a self published book I think
you have to get it directly from him.  Don't worry...the mail from Down
Under arrived at my mail box in about 8 days.