Re: Cohousing pet policies
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:19:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all-

In reference to:

 " We are particularly struggling with outdoor cats and their impact (perceived much more by some and not at all by others) on wildlife and the bird population. Also, of concern are dogs who are unleashed in the neighborhood. Thanks, Rachael "

We have coyotes in Rock Creek Park near us who apparently feel that cats are good snacks. Every month or two there is a report about another "lost" cat. We also have a rabies epidemic in our county. Some cats seem to hang out in the courtyard here a bit, but mostly people keep their cats very close to home.

On pet policy, we did the groundwork research and a draft proposal before moving in, then decided to wait until after to see if we needed it. I think it is understood that pets are not welcome in the commonhouse, except for just passing through. So far, any disputes have been handled directly by the parties involved and not risen to the whole community level. I don't know if anything is simmering. I do assume will will have the discussion sometime, but it is a relatively low priority for now.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland