Re: chicken club, garden club
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:50:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:11 AM, Lynn Nadeau wrote:

Can anyone tell us about how the club approach did or didn't build
community (or at least not erode it?) at your place?

We have "user's groups" who maintain certain areas and make decisions about them -- the exercise room is probably the most "formed." The user's group maintains an email list for communications and makes decisions about where to put the equipment, what to replace, procedures for using the room, BUT the room is open to everyone to use. It isn't a closed club.

They also chipped in and bought a home gym but anyone can use it.

Essentially anything in common space can be used by anyone.

I can see where the chicken and garden clubs would make sense to be "members only" as long as anyone is free to join but I would think these would not "count" as community work. Both are labor intensive and require some expertise to maintain. But they are not whole community activities or maintained for the benefit of the community.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC