Re: re: chicken club, garden club
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 16, 2005, at 8:38 AM, Sandy Thomson wrote:

I hope this helps you with your comfort level on these kind of things. I know every community is different and some people on this list don't think clubs are a good idea. For us it works great. We may add a small animal club (goats, turkeys). I might try honey bees.

To me the more things that can get people involved with each other and the land the better.

I think this is a good point and would add "as long as participation isn't required of everyone."

There is a problem with everything being a full community activity - no one wants to do everything! Goats and turkeys? Not me! And inclusive clubs help define who is expected to work and benefit. When the work is intensive, this helps.

Requiring or even encouraging people to participate in things they don't care about, or limiting activities to only those things that everyone is interested in, narrows both diversity and involvement.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Newsletter on Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org