Re: peace, justice
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
>I'm curious how the activism of members in a community affect the other
>not-so-activist members, if there is an open space created for tolerant
>discussion and dialogue,

I found myself in an interesting "diversity" situation at one point, when
as head of Outreach/marketing I dealt with an inquiry from a
nuclear-warfare submarine captain, potentially stationed in our region
with the Trident fleet at Bangor WA (1700+ nuclear warheads). I was fully
cordial in offering the usual information about our project, inviting a
visit, etc. Members of our community showed up for a tea and cookies chat
with this couple.

In speaking with them afterwards, I put it this way, "We are open to
diversity, and you can have whatever religious, political, etc views you
do. However, I want you to know that you'd likely hear after-dinner
announcements, from time to time, about people going off to protest and
get arrested at Bangor. Perhaps we could carpool?!" To tell the truth, I
was relieved when he was stationed elsewhere and the inquiry was
irrelevant.

At RoseWind, I am unaware of any members who aren't at least supportive
of activism, and many of us are quite active in organizations and
activities for peace, environment, social justice, etc.

The day after the September 11th attacks, about 25 of us spontaneously
gathered at the common house in the evening for a circle to share
thoughts and feelings. Given the media reports of attitudes in the
mainstream, I found it remarkable that not a single person present voiced
any desire for revenge, any nationalistic sentiments, or such, and that
the greatest fear was not of further terrorist attacks, but of
curtailment of civil liberties and justification for certain political
agendas.

So I can't speak to what it's like to have real political diversity in a
group. I get my fill of other political views, elsewhere, so I'm just as
glad that our diversity typically takes other forms.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com
http://www.ptforpeace.info (very active peace movement here- see our