RE: Questions
From: Michael Jupin (mike_jupinexcite.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
 Rose, I am working with a group that grew out of our small inner-city church.
Persons in this group include Ph. D's, recently homeless, gays and lesbians,
and disabled. Incomes are all over the scale.  We recently tried to purchase a
piece of property and really tried to put numbers to our dreams - we learned
that we need the numbers first. We are trying to develop a 20 to 25 unit
cohousing development with some rental, some studios, one bedrooms, up to about
four bedrooms. We want all units to be environmentally friendly and accessible.
Trying to do all that and build a commons house (approximately $450,000 for
commons house alone) proved to be too much for us. So, we backed out of the
deal and went back to the drawing board. I agree that cohousing should allow
for some cost savings and be affordable, but it is difficult to do. But, we're
still working towards that goal!Michael JupinSouth Louisville Community
Ministries4803 Southside DriveLouisville, KY 40214(502)361-7763
Fax (502) 3614668SLCM [at] slcm.org--- On Mon 06/06, Princess Pepperonia of the
Pizza People < roseames [at] webhart.net > wrote:3: MoneyDid you all
start out with 100k houses? Good grief! One of the advantages of cohousing
could be financial; is there any way those of us who aren't rich can get in on
the deal? Does anyone have experience/suggestions starting a community on a
much smaller budget? I envision building & living in the common house while
saving money to build (small) individual homes. If we'd be likely to still be
speaking to each other by then.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com