Porches
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:38:00 -0700 (PDT)
Diane wrote:

........The slide show I give has several slides of porches from Southside Park. I think there
might be many other cohousing groups out there that have built porches
because they are wonderful "transitional spaces."

You are right about porches being "wonderful transitional spaces." However, they have a (to my mind serious) drawback. That is, they make every unit that has one inaccessible to persons in wheelchairs (unless, of course the porches are in the unit's "back yard) and the front of the unit is on grade, but then they only are transitional between the unit and its semiprivate "backyard." if there is one.)

Joani
Swan's Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA