Re: Porches
From: Deborah Mensch (deborahmenschgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:20:50 -0700 (PDT)
Well, maybe some people wouldn't call them porches depending on the
definition, but our front porches at Pleasant Hill Cohousing are
on-grade and accessible. Our front-porch life is alive and well! Some
units have porches just big enough for a bench or glider and some
plants (like ours), while others have room for a small table and
chairs. They have deciduous, flowering vines overhead, and they're
great places to hang out, especially in the cool of the evening. As my
husband remarked to me recently, "I know that if I hang out on the
porch long enough, someone will come by and talk!" And that's exactly
what happens.

So I say, porches are great as long as they don't have to be up steps!
(We have short front walks to the main walk instead of porch steps.
Much safer for the little ones, of which we have dozens.)

-Deborah Mensch

living at Pleasant Hill Cohousing, where the weather is getting hot,
but our passive solar is working great and it is 71 degrees inside my
un-air-conditioned townhouse this afternoon!