Re: Porches
From: Jenn Cartee (jcarteegmail.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:17:38 -0700 (PDT)
> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:37:50 -0700
> From: Joani Blank <joani [at] swansway.com>

> You are right about porches being "wonderful transitional
> spaces."  However, they have a (to my mind serious) drawback. That is, they
> make every unit that has one inaccessible to persons in wheelchairs
> (unless, of course the porches are in the unit's "back yard) and the front
> of the unit is on grade, but then they only are transitional between the
> unit and its semiprivate "backyard." if there is one.)

Why do porches need to have steps?  Why not a railed patio sort of
area in front of each home leading to common pathways?  Or a ramped
approach?  Presuming porch=steps strikes me as a unnecessary
assumption.  But likely closer to the common definition of porch than
what I was thinking.  Hmm.  My family had a concrete slab with rails
we called our porch growing up, so that likely goes into the
difference.

Jenn Cartee

  • Re: Porches, (continued)