Re: Community meetings - frequency?
From: normangauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
Right now, one year after moving in, we are wrestling with the question of
which decisions need to be made in community-wide "business" meetings and
which can be made by the Board of Directors (Operations Committee),
Facilities Management Team, and Finance Committee.  In our California CC&R's
and Bylaws, two types of meetings are mentioned, Annual Membership meetings
and Special Membership meetings.  Our frequent "business" meetings are held
in lieu of Board meetings in keeping with the cohousing philosophy of
minimizing the power of the Board.  In essence, most of the decisions made
by a Board in a regular HOA are made in business meetings in our cohousing
HOA. I would say that these meetings are the equivalent of Special
Membership meetings.

We don't want our committees and teams to appear heavy handed and arouse the
animosity of some members who have bad experiences with Boards of Directors
in their former Associations.  On the other hand we are having community
meetings almost every week, and the docket of issues that need attention is
growing faster than we can get to them.

Getting a perspective on how other cohousing communities perform triage
would enable us to better plan our community-wide "business" meetings.

Norm Gauss