Re: Community meetings - frequency?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 24, 2005, at 4:20 PM, <normangauss [at] charter.net> wrote:

Right now, one year after moving in, we are wrestling with the question of which decisions need to be made in community-wide "business" meetings and
which can be made by the Board of Directors (Operations Committee),
Facilities Management Team, and Finance Committee.

One option is allow team decisions or member requests to be posted for objections. Then a discussion is not necessary unless there are objections that cannot be resolved privately.

If you ask a group to discuss and decide, it obligates them to find something to discuss in order to be good group members. And it obligates people to have full info to decide. Too often all this is unnecessary and changes no opinions.

Posting for objections allows the teams to move forward without waiting for a spot on an agenda. We usually allow 5-7 days for objections based on our groups email reading frequency. Some only read at the office and some only read on weekends. 5 days usually catches everyone and 7 days is often just more workable -- no one acts in less than 7 days.

I would prefer if we would post ALL proposals this way to ensure that discussion is even necessary and on what points, but the process people want process! Posting for objections doesn't count as process -- we have to suffer more. And suffer together.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC