RE: Advice Requested on Co-Housing Condos
From: Casey Morrigan (cjmorrpacbell.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
I think the original thread here was how to run your cohousing community
when you have laws governing what homeowners' associations (HOA's) can do
and how they are governed. I am here to say - it is doable. We just made
sure that our consensus process and committee structure (notice of
meetings, decisionmaking, responsibility of Board members, accountability,
getting the work of the community done) matches or exceeds the requirements
of our HOA bylaws and our CCR's (covenants, codes, and restrictions). This
is usually pretty easy, though it may not be simple. We had to have several
meetings where we sat with our bylaws and CCR's, and compared it to our
actual governance and committee structure, and then figured out what needed
to happen.