Re: Groundbreaking
From: Hyghroad (Hyghroadaol.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
Dear James:
 Thanks for asking about CVC. My replies are embedded next to your questions
below. Please keep in touch if you have more questions.

Kelly Devine
Common Pastures
aka Champlain Valley Cohousing
Charlotte, Vermont
http://www.champlainvalleycohousing.org
802-425-2027
hyghroad [at] aol.com

In a message dated 7/2/2005 5:39:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jimkacki [at] mb.sympatico.ca writes:

> Congratulations!! Your plan sounds wonderful, especially with approx.
> 100 Acres for farming opportunities.

We do plan to have farming operations either run by members or some outside
entity. We are currently searching for someone with organic farming experience
who may want to farm part of our land.

 Two questions, I interpreted your

> site to say that the lots are $200,000, lots with large houses $330,000.
> Is $330,000 the lot + house, or just the house?

The lots cost about $200,000. Once an owner buys a lot, they can build there
own home on it according to there needs and ability. The design will be
subject to community review. The cost of the house would of course depend on
its
size, amenities and construction plan. When we complete infrastruction work at
the end of the summer each lot will be buildable with water, sewer, and utility
service to it. Our architect, William McClay has designed three different
single family homes that can be built on the lots.

> Second question, you say that 2 houses are set aside as affordable
> housing.  How will that work? Are the houses built? If so, are they
> smaller? or cheaper in construction?  If they are not built, how do you
> make them affordable?  Are the lots cheaper?

We do have two affordable units. One is being built this summer and is
already taken. The Units will be the same construction and amenities as all
other
attached units in our community. They are 2bdrm attached units in a quadplex,
so
they are among the smaller units in the community. Their affordability is
regulated by the state. A local housing organization may offer the qualified
buyer help with a downpayment. Any buyer must be registered and approved
through
the state organization that qualifies buyers for affordable housing statewide.
As with all affordable housing, Common Pastures is selling these units at
below cost to make they qualify as affordable. The excess cost is born by the
remaining members of the community.

Thanks