Re: Business plan needed
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:10:14 -0700 (PDT)
One of the best books on business planning is Paul Hawken's _Growing a Business_. It is old but you may be able to find it at the library. It was a companion book to a PBS series on green and humane businesses.

This was the first book that really explained to me that a business plan is always a work in progress. It's a place to store information and a work through ideas. As soon as it is finished, it needs revision. But it is invaluable as a process. I had always thought I was doing it wrong because I could never get one perfectly finished! The neat and tidy business plans you find posted on the web are often written by professional business plan writers to make banks happy and may have never been read by the business owners. They look good but the process has not taught anyone anything.

Chris Scott Hanson's The Cohousing Handbook is the best for laying out the development process.

Diane Leafe Christian's Creating a Life Together is excellent on everything! This book is really a wonderful book on building communities.

The best book for the actual development and construction process is probably too technical for any of us to face unless we are already a developer. You need good professionals.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Newsletter on Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org