Re: Business plan needed
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
Tom, and all...

Here at Cohousing Resources, we recommend that you actually do a full Development Plan, not just a business plan.

A development plan worries less about the market and the product being sold to that market, and more about the process of doing the business of development successfully. We assume you know who the market is - yourselves, and others like you. We also assume you know what the product is - cohousing, in one of its forms as you choose to define it as a community.

We offer a 2.5 day custom workshop which will set you off on the right track for this development process, providing you with the three fundamental elements of managing that process, all tailored to your local area:

1. Project Budget - using local costs, with estimated unit mix and unit pricing
    2. Project Schedule - using local permit processing times, etc.
    3. Project Cash Flow Plan - spreading the budget over time

The agenda for this 2.5 day workshop, customized specifically to your location, includes such items as: a. Overview - defining your dreams, and getting from dreams to reality
    b. Development models - what works, what does not
    c. Legal issues - contracts, ownership forms, risk management
    d. Financial Issues - banks, risk, budgets and pro formas,
    e. Affordability - goals, strategies for achieving these goals,
f. Raising the Money - early buyer incentives, managing financial risk
    g. Marketing and Membership - fundamentals, details, samples
    h. Finding and Buying Land - where and how
    i. Design Process - considerations, design stages, the environment
    j. Design Team - identifying, hiring and managing the design team
    k. Scheduling - predicting, anticipating, managing
    l. Permits and Approvals - public process, technical process
    m. Construction - what can you expect
    n.  Moving in - preparing, living there issues

Workshop participants come away with a three ring binder full of this material, with samples, and guides, budgets and charts, and lots of information.

If you are interested, we are able to successfully provide land acquisition services for your community, however the workshop, above, is a required prerequisite for undertaking a land acquisition contract with you.

Please call or write if you have any questions or suggestions about how we might help your community get going.

Kelly ScottHanson

Cohousing Resources LLC & Ecodevelopments LLC
Ecovillages, Cohousing & Sustainable Communities
Development and Consulting for a Sustainable Future
   based on the Natural Power of Community

(206) 842-9160 Seattle
(206) 260-2800 eFAX
(617) 894-7661 Boston
(617) 344-8563 eFAX

email:          kelly [at] CohousingResources.com

web site 1:      http://www.CohousingResources.com
web site 2:      http://www.EcoDevelopments.com