Re: Designing and Specifying CH Kitchens
From: Kathryn McCamant (kathryn.mccamantcohousingco.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:19:50 -0700 (PDT)
Well actually, Chris, we handle Common House kitchen design a little
differently. We stay in touch with the communities we¹ve worked with and get
plenty of feedback, so our approach incorporates our latest, greatest
feedback for communities in the 30 ­ 34 unit size:

1. One residential refrigerator and maybe a second in the basement or in a
more out-of-way location (unless the community has specifically said they
want a commerical refrigerator which we haven¹t heard for a while).

2. One high end residential stove with 6 burners (at least 15,000 BTU¹s )
and two ovens (30,000 btu¹s). Sometimes, one of the ovens is separate for
the range.

3. Range hood per range

4. Commercial grade, undercounter dishwasher (we do NOT take this out for
the building department and have always been able to avoid the commercial
kitchen designation in common houses. This would be much harder once a
precedent is set for a commercial designation for common houses in same
region as this is definitely a question of interpretation by the local
building official. We use the residential range as our argument for no
commercial designation.)

5. and yes, a middle island that can be used for ³separate, social
multi-cook food prep area.²

An important consideration in these larger communities is that we find that
communities that have more frequent reliable common dinners actually have
more smaller numbers of people at each dinner but more people participating
over all. So, for instance, if I know that my community has 3 ­ 5 dinners
reliably every week,  my family will likely go to 2 ­ 3 of them. But if my
community only has 1 or 2 dinners a week, I would really try to make them so
that means that at those dinners we would likely have more diners overall.
Personally, I really like have more dinners to choose from during the week
and having those be a little more intimate because not everyone feels they
need to make every common dinner because they are so rare.

My 2 cents. Will be interesting to hear what others say.

Katie
--

Kathryn M. McCamant, Principal
The CoHousing Company/McCamant & Durrett Architects

241 B Commercial Street
Nevada City, CA 95959
T.530.265.9980 F.530.265.4398

1250 Addison Street No.113