Re: Multiple chemical sensitivity
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
I'd add to what Sharon says that some things that at some point in time seem like a "cause", can become eventually part of life which isn't designated as such. For example: many communities, I suspect, take on themselves the task of building houses which are handicapped -accessible. Yes, there are laws in place to enforce some level of this, but by now I think our consciousness has evolved to a point that making extra efforts to accommodate wheel-chairs and such doesn't seem like a "cause", but has been assimilated into a fairly mainstream outlook of what spaces, public and otherwise, should be. This is regardless of whether the group has a handicapped person(s) among its members. I'm sure that a couple of decades ago this wasn't the case.

My point is that what gets marked as a "cause" is that which hasn't been assimilated (yet?) into enough people's consciousness, and that this is an ever-shifting state of affairs. Which isn't to say that on every issue there is a change, or that a change is always in a predictable
direction.
R.