multiple chemical sensitivity, fragrances
From: james f. palmer (zooeymailbox.syr.edu)
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:05:27 -0700 (PDT)
Lynn shared with us her concerns with fragrances. I think that it is very appropriate that some communities (e.g., EcoVillage apparently) be founded to create a more comfortable (and healthy) community for her (and others who have similar concerns). However, I do not see that this is furthered by wanting all cohousing communities to be fragrance free. What am I to make of your request that we remove all gardenias from our presence--some of my fondest memories are of the gardenia bush by our front steps when I was a boy. Must the world be sterilized of such joys because a few people object (or have a health reaction)? While there are many fragrances that I find objectionable, I think that I would find a fragrance free environment even more so. Is it not appropriate that they simply gather together to form fragrance free (in this case) communities rather than ask it of us all? Or are gardenias endangering the health of us all (as cigarettes apparently do)?

Jim Palmer, Essex Junction, VT

Lynn Nadeau wrote:
At the very least, it would be great if coho common spaces could all be
fragrance free, in terms of incense, potpourri, smelly cleaning products,
gardenias and stargazer lilies too.