Re: Re: multiple chemical sensitivity, fragrances
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 07:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Becky,
My opinion is that while it would be great if everyone gave up on fragranced products, it's quite unfeasible to expect it at this point in time especially regarding what people do in their own homes. In my judgment, this is more of an intrusion into people's personal zone that most can tolerate. Remember that this also creates a precedent: Once the community tells people that they can't
use any fragrance in their home, what will be next?
I actually doubt that even in Eco-villages people get told whether they can use incense and such in their private dwelling... (If I'm wrong on this, perhaps someone can let me know).

I'd like to reiterate that I'm all in favor of communities making efforts to accommodate handicapped people in common spaces - and MCS is a handicap. (ie: This is an issue of accessibility). In reality, though, it's not easy to convince people to pay attention even on this level. There are always those who don't think the problem is "real", and who see any limitation as an imposition.

R.