Re: Rules & Regs
From: Zeke Holland (zhollandblazenetme.net)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
Michael--
I believe it is valuable to describe your vision/intentions in as much
detail as possible.  Early members who have worked together to start the
community tend to have some "assumed vision" that is not always spelled out,
and they can be shocked later to find that newer members do not come with
the same assumptions.  I also believe it is valuable to clearly spell out in
detail the governance process by which rules are to be made and changed.  To
try to make rules about everything up front might be rather "heavy," and if
you have the common vision and process defined, you can afford to make up
the rules as you go.  But if you do go with lots of rules up front make sure
they are written in such a way that they relate back to the vision, so you
know why the rule exists and have a basis for questioning/changing it later.
Have fun!
--Zeke Holland
Two Echo Cohousing, Brunswick, ME
(Common house in use at last, and one lot still available)