Re: Rules & Regs
From: Michael Scalia (nonduegmail.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks everyone for your replies, and my apologies for double posting.

I like the regulate-as-you-go approach as well, and I'm quite impresed
with the slimness of the Cambridge Cohousing rules.  As an EcoVillage,
it's a slightly different kettle of fish, since there are two
organizing principles: living in community, and being green.  The bulk
of the rules here are around environmental issues.  My feeling is that
we may have gone too far in trying to anticipate every eventuality.
One of the motivators is that a new builder is coming in to put up a
cluster of 25 homes.  The builder does not have a history of green
development, and with a tract of 25 already-built homes, this cluster
may appeal to the "more typical surburban homeowner" than the "died in
the wool EcoVillager" who had to sweat through the building process,
getting to know her new neighbors and learning what the community is
all about in the process.  The folks that write the environmental
guidelines (a committee of community members) are in the process of
bulking up the rules & regs in anticipation of this.  What I'm hearing
in the forum suggests that may not be the best approach.

If there is anyone out there from another enviromentally oriented
community, it would be interesting to hear what your experiences are.

Thanks again,
Michael