Re: ASSOCIATE MEMBERS IN ADJACENT HOMES
From: katie-henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
I'm very interested in responses to this question. We have a similar situation.
There are eleven unfinished residential/office spaces in a separate wing of our
building that will be sold to people who may or may not be interested in
cohousing. We're a 56-household community, so we're not exactly desperate for
additional members. It's reasonable to expect that the occupants of this wing
would like some level of participation and access to our part of the building,
since we have lots of nice amenities (roof garden, etc.). We're grappling with
how/if to integrate them into the community, grant them access (full?
partial?), charge them fees, etc. Happy to hear of any related experiences.

Katie
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD

--------------------
ASSOCIATE MEMBERS IN ADJACENT HOMES
From: Linda Gluck/Treehouse (treehousenetstep.net)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:10:03 -0700 (PDT)

Dear fount of wisdom,

We have three properties for sale adjacent to the land we have purchased for
our cohousing project. We would like the owners/residents of those
properties to be associated with us in some way. We know there are folks who
are sympatico but don't want to live within the coho, but who would be glad
to come to meals, participate in programs or projects etc. We believe it
will be happiest for all if neighbors value living next to a 30-unit busy
community. Have other cohos set up something like this? Do you have a
written agreement? Any fees?

Can we control who first buys these parcels and then who those first buyers
can sell to in future? How about a covenant on the deed? Is that legal?

Many thanks,
Linda Gluck
Ulster County Cohousing
Rosendale, NY