Peak Oil conference and IC connection
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
Back on 12 Apr 2005 Tree Bressen (tree [at] ic.org) passed along:

> Community Service, Inc. of Yellow Springs, Ohio, will be putting on its
> second conference on Peak Oil and Community Solutions to the coming
> energy shortages/transitions to a more sustainable culture. Their
> conference will be Friday eve Sept 23rd to Sunday aft, Sept 25th, 2005.
> More info on last year's conference and talks is at
> http://www.communitysolution.org

See also Tree's full message at:
http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/msg21529.html

There were a bunch of Peak Oil related messages about that time.
Search for Peak Oil or simply go to the index page for April '05
(currently at (they shift as new messages are archived) :
http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/mail3.html

Now a conference brochure has turned up at my house.  One of the speakers
is Diana Leafe Christian of Communities magazine.  And Liz Walker of
EcoVillage at Ithaca.  It's sounding interesting.  If I were closer to
Ohio, I'd go.  Since the topic came up in April here, I have heard a
speech by Richard Heinberg who will be a keynote speaker at the
conference.

I'm convinced that declining available petroleum and corresponding
increasing costs will bring major changes.  How catastrophic they will be
remains to be seen - depends on what we and the world do to prepare and
and when.  Unlike the Y2K predictions of doom that Rob compared some of
the more dire pedictions with, the physical facts of Peak Oil are
indisputable.  Tho they do share the dependence on how we prepare.
Arguably the Y2K outcome could have been very different if lots of effort
at preparations and prevention had not been made.  It is always hard to
appreciate bad outcomes that are averted.

The Early registration deadline (Sept 1) for the conference is creaping
up on us.  Hey, it's a fact of life that it is easier to get motivated to
act as a deadline approaches :)

Fred

--
Loose Lips Deserve Pink Slips. Fire Karl Rove.
Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux