RE: Commercial use of common house space.
From: Fleck (foam4uworldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
3 things you didn't ask about besides all the extra bookkeeping involved for
someone.

1. Insurance. Will she be carrying business liability for her "clients" (not
members or guests) and the community.
2. If you charge, that's taxable income to the Homeowners Association. Also
more bookkeeping. (Our yoga teacher, who lives here, just takes donations
and that's fine.)
3. All the time you and your neighbors have to spend hashing this out
instead of using your time for funner stuff.

Keep in mind that no matter how you work this out it won't be "fair". It's
just that every member of the community uses various components unequally.

In Jackson Place, community always gets scheduling preference over
"commercial" or non-member stuff. But our policy is to not rent any space,
period. Areas are expected to be returned to original (clean) condition
after individuals have an event.

If someone sponsors a music or arts event or a non-coho meeting or dinner
that person has to be there and either be a member of the organization or
indicate why it's related to our community.  Performers can sell their CDs,
people can accept money for auction items, and attendees can make a
donation. The sponsor is expected to be responsible for cleaning the space.

Good luck,
Anne Fleck
Jackson Place Cohousing Seattle